Beta Monkey Music - Frequently Asked Questions
We are here to help you get the best grooves as well as service. If your question is not answered on this page, feel free to email or call us directly for more personal attention and specific information.
PRODUCT RETURN POLICY
DRUM LOOP QUESTIONS
DVD HARD COPY ORDERING QUESTIONS
We have an "no questions asked" exchange policy because your satisfaction is of the utmost importance to us.
Due to the digital nature of our soundware products that can be purchased from Beta Monkey Music, you can not return a product for a cash refund, but you can exchange your purchase for any other Beta Monkey product within 30 days of your purchase from Beta Monkey Music.
In order to exchange your Beta Monkey product, you simply email us at email@example.com to indicate which new product you'd like to exhange for your purchased product. We'll issue new download links or reship the new discs (you are required pay S&H charges for the new exchanged item) to you within three (3) days. If your new product is more expensive than the original, you will only be asked to pay the difference in price.
Your satisfaction is guaranteed and of the highest concern for us here at Beta Monkey Music. All purchases are covered under our "no questions asked" 100% satisfaction product exchange policy. We will always work to make sure you get the soundware products you and your music need.
.Back to top
1. Are Beta Monkey drum loops available for instant digital download or available as hard copy DVD? Both actually! All Beta Monkey loop and sample orders are available for instant digital download immediately after purchase. You'll receive download links via email immediately after purchase - 24/7, 365 days a year - and inspire your music within minutes.
However, if you need hard copies of your loops, we can handle this as well. As you check out in our shopping cart, just look for the shipping option after entering your zip code/location. You have to select "Added Shipping" to get hard copies - shipping charges are currently $9.95 for any size order to any location worldwide. If you do not select this added shipping, you'll notice all orders are by default, consider instant digital downloads.
Some folks select shipping to get hard copy backups. If this is the case for you, you'll receive your loop download links minutes after completing the order and hard copies will be on their way and at your location within 3-7 days. See below for further information in shipping.Back to top
2. Is there an extra charge if I need to get multiple loop formats? No. Unlike many of our competitors who upsell you with additional charges should you need to use more than one loop format, all available formats are included with purchase at Beta Monkey for one low price.
We know that many artists and songwriters have multiple ways to write and record and, as such, work in different recording platforms. So, we make it easy: ALL available loop formats are INCLUDED with your download purchase. Please check individual discs for specific information about available formats as some (but not many) collections do not offer all loop formats.Back to top
3. What if I have download issues after purchasing? If for any reason your download links are not received via email immediately after purchase, please check your spam or junk email folder as the automated download link emails will occasionally arrive there. If not found there, please contact us and we will resolve the issue quickly and painlessly.Back to top
4. How big are the loop download files? What kind of internet connection do I need?Please remember our downloadable drum loop online are quite large (ranging anywhere from 400 MB to 1.2 GB) - a good internet connection with plenty of bandwidth is recommended. And, don't forget, if you're ordering multiple loop sets, you're likely looking at several GB of data! So, please anticipate the time involved when ordering. On average, customers are able to download loop sets of 500-700 MB in about 15-20 minutes. Your speeds obviously may vary, but that is typical.Back to top
5. I lost my files I purchased and downloaded last week/month/year/decade. Do I have to pay again for a replacement download? No. Again, unlike many of our competitors who upsell you with additional charges, we do not charge you again to replace lost files (whatever the cause may be). We've even seen our competitors charge for "insurance" should you ever need to replace lost or damaged loops. We think such charges are petty and insulting, if not a little shady and disreputable.
We are always here for you and if you have purchased loops from Beta Monkey in the past, we will always be here for you to replace them. We recently just replaced a customers loops that he ordered in 2006! Sure, it took a little longer than usual to check out his order in the archives but, once we found proof of order, we issued download links immediately. Needless to say, the customer was thrilled to get back and running with his Beta Monkey loops!
You will always have us as the ultimate backup to re-issue download links should you need them next week or ten years from now.Back to top
6. I've downloaded all the loops and everything is working fine. However, I would like to get hard copies. Is that OK? If you require physical hard copies, we can always ship DVD physical hard copies anywhere worldwide. Unless it is a special promotion that specifically states a price for a instant download only, we can always accommodate a hard copy DVD request. You simply need to pay shipping for your order - one price, worldwide. Usually, the option to add shipping and physical hard copy delivery is offered in the shopping cart prior to checkout, but we can always send you a custom shipping invoice anytime after the initial order.Back to top
7. I am ready to buy! What types of payment are accepted at Beta Monkey? Beta Monkey Music accepts Visa, Mastercard, American Express, Discover or bank account payments via Paypal. You may also pay by using your PayPal account. All payments are processed by PayPal through our secure shopping cart.Back to top
The PayPal site is highly secure. We use industry-leading technology (such as SSL) to keep your information safe. PayPal automatically encrypts your confidential information in transit from your computer to ours using the Secure Sockets Layer protocol (SSL) with an encryption key length of 128-bits (the highest level commercially available).
Before you even register or log in to the PayPal site, our server checks that you're using an approved browser - one that uses SSL 3.0 or higher.
You can be 100% confident that your online purchase will be safe and secure, backed by the highest security standards provided by PayPal.Back to top
1. Which loop format is right for my software? Sometimes it can be confusing to know which loop format is the one best suited for your software or stand-alone DAW. While can be an issue with some sample and loop providers, we have made it easy here at Beta Monkey.
When you purchase any loop set, you get ALL available formats with your purchase. Your purchase gives you access to the 16-bit ACIDized WAV, 24-bit ACIDized WAV, Apple Loops and (when available) the REX2 format loops as well. So, whether you are unsure of the format you need or require multiple formats if you have a multi-platform setup (and who doesn't have multiple computers, both MAC and PC, these days?), we have the format question answered for you. You get the all now and can sort out how to use the different loop formats later.
If you're still interested in reading, here are specific recommendations for different DAW (Digital Audio Workstation), audio software and hardware situations.
Obviously, you know your setup best, but here are our recommendations for the most popular programs using Beta Monkey drum loops and samples. Feel free to download actual samples from most of our collection (see the individual disc's page) and test them in your setup. Specific program information is as follows:
Ableton Live: 16 or 24-bit WAV format. REX2
Sony Acid: 16 or 24-bit WAV format. Obviously, this one is a no-brainer!
Adobe Audition: 16 or 24-bit
Cakewalk Products: 16 or 24-bit WAV format
Cubase, Nuendo (Steinberg): 16 or 24-bit WAV or REX format. Users probably already know REX format is, in some ways, a better format to work with but either WAV or REX/REX2 is compatible.
Digital Performer: DP supports REX as well as Acid WAV (3.1 and above) and Apple Loops (4.5 and above).
Image-Line FL Studio, Fruity Loops: 16 or 24-bit WAV format
GarageBand: Apple Loops (of course!)
Logic: Apple Loops format. Older versions (6.0 and below) should use REX format.
Presonus Studio One: ACIDized WAV (16 or 24-bit) or Apple Loop formats, Learn more about using our drum loops in StudioOne.
Propellerheads Programs: REX format, of course.
Pro Tools: 16 or 24-bit WAV format
DIGITAL AUDIO WORKSTATIONS: (BOSS, Roland, Yamaha, etc.): 16-bit WAV. 24 bit can be used in some, but definitely not all DAW's. If you in doubt, check with your manufacturer's website.
Of course, if you don't see your software or hardware listed above and are unsure of the format right for you, email customer support and we'll make sure you get the right format for your next project. If you need it, you can get more specific information about the APPLE LOOPS format here.Back to top
2. Which CD should I get if I want to write a song like (insert song name here)? Feel free to write anytime to run questions like this by us. We'll do our best to see if we can find a match. And, if we can't, we also cut custom loops. Right now, there are no fixed prices for such services but this is in the works for a dedicated service. We've done it on numerous occasions and would be happy to see if we can cut some custom grooves for you too. Now, if you ask us to play Zappa's "Black Page" that might be a different story! But, short of that, we can handle most requests.Back to top
3. Are these loops license-free? Royalty-free? Yes. Beta Monkey music loops and samples are completely license-free and there are no royalties to pay so long as you use these loops/samples in music. You may not resell or distribute the loops "as is" in loop form no matter how you may tweak, EQ, combine or otherwise digitally alter them. You must use them in a musical composition of your own creation, commercial or private.
Your Beta Monkey license can be summarized by the following:
What You Can Do with Your Beta Monkey Loops:
What You Can NOT Do with Your Beta Monkey Loops:
Beta Monkey Music will always remain the sole copyright holder and owner of the drum loops, samples, and sounds - our license grants you the use of our work in your own recorded works, for home or commercial use with no royalty obligation to us whatsoever. We have caught people reselling our loops - not nice. Don't do it.
Think of how you might feel if someone broke into your house and stole your guitar, bass, or keyboard. That is essentially what you are doing to us - drummers who sweat our nuts off so you can have some powerful grooves to write with - when you post our drums on various torrent sites or try to pawn them off on ebay after you have made copies for yourself. Respect the yourself. Respect the music. Respect our license. Next question!Back to top
4. Can I mix and match loops from different loop sets on a disc? The problem with a lot of loop discs is the fact that so many of the loops on a particular disc do NOT work together. In most cases it is because you have a random assortment of drum sounds, varying from one loop set to another.
Unless explicitly stated on the disc description, ALL Beta Monkey drum loop libraries are single recording session collections of loops.
By "single recording session", we mean the entire disc features one single drum sound (all loops are taken from the same kit, same room, same recording session, same drum mix). This means all the loops - grooves, groove variations, fills, one shots, and multi-velocity samples - sound EXACTLY the same. And, because of this, you can mix and match anything together, greatly improving the versatility and usability of the drum loops and samples. We pioneered this idea when we began and it has been copied by nearly all loop sellers since.
If you are looking for even more sonic consistency and want the ultimate in versatility, many of our sample releases share the same sound and recording specs (cut from same recording session, same kit, same room, same settings) and can be used together. In other words, loops from one disc can be used with loops from another disc. For example, Drum Werks VII, VIII and Pure Country II are derived from the same recording session and all loops from the three discs can be mixed with loops from any of the other three discs - essentially, a multi-disc collection of single session drum loops!
UPDATE: Please visit our drum loop library page to see which discs belong together. We have organized our many different drum recording sessions so it is now easy to know which releases are compatible (from same session)
The following sample libraries share the same sounds and can be used together:
A handful of sample sets are "mixed sessions" and contain a variety of drum sounds. However, folders are each disc are consistent sounds. In other words, drum sounds will vary from folder to folder, but never within a single folder.
These discs contain an abundance of loops at particular tempos or styles that you have more than enough for song construction. These discs are for those of you who need and like the variety of sounds that real drums offer.Back to top
5. I am having issues seeing the loops in GarageBand or Logic? This almost always is related to indexing your drum loops in either of these two programs. See our Apple Loops Help and Info Page for solutions.Back to top
You want to know why we charge less than everyone else? Because we think they charge too much. We have bought our fair share of discs for $50 and up. Some were good, some were OK, and some were flat-out useless. But, in every case, we always felt the price tag was just way too stiff. Now, many will say, "Oh, but these are license-free loops!" or "It takes a lot of money to book studio time, buy equipment, and produce CD's." And, sadly many people will buy it.
And we still don't.
We offer our discs, which pound for pound put other commercial releases to shame, at FAIR prices. We've found through experience that people truly appreciate rock solid, no-nonsense, 100% acoustic drum grooves and fills at the prices we offer them for. Proof enough is the amount of repeat business we do. Unlike most of the others out there, we aren't out for the quick "one hit" purchase. We have over forty releases now and plan to release even more. We want you back. And, we can only do that if you feel you got what you paid for (and we prefer you feel you got MORE than what you paid for). "But, you get what you pay for!" is what some will counter. Well, this is true with a lot of things in life (like cheap microphones or cheap instruments), but we can assure you it's not true with Beta Monkey. Plus, for our prices, you can actually try us out and still not be out a bundle. Think you would take the same risks with a $100+ sample CD? Not nearly as likely.
The bottom line is our price is a major selling point. If we felt like screwing people, we would charge $49.99 like everyone else. We don't. We won't. We can't. It's just not what we believe in. But, hey, if you want to spend more and get less, email us. We know of more than a few places who will gladly stiff you for more and send you a disc of even stiffer loops.
The Short Answer? We're just not greedy like our competitors. We want to offer great products at a price ALL musicians can afford, from working pro musicians with an unlimited spending budget to the project studio artists with more limited means. We know - we have been both.Back to top
2. Why do Beta Monkey drum loops sound better than their competitors? We'd like to think we produce some of the best-sounding drum loop and sample products anywhere. And, what we have always attempted to achieve was a wide variety of professional grade drum recordings. This means we have been to some of the best drum rooms in the US. Whether it's in New York City, Nashville, Los Angeles, or San Francisco (and a bunch of places in-between), we go to the great rooms to get the great sounds.
So, while the competition is putting out the same over-processed, over-compressed, sample-replaced schlock that is coming from the same room year after year, we can offer you the beautiful variety of the top studios in the nation. And, while recording in your backyard garage might be cool for some things, we prefer to go to the rooms that have produced platinum-selling records. While we might be wrong, but there just might be some difference between Allaire Studios in NY and some Pro Tools rig you have in your backyard tool shed.
It's just part of what we do to give you better-sounding drums, ones that are unique and distinct from anything else you'll find anywhere. There's no shortcut to great sounding drums and sometimes you have to go to the studios that can deliver the sounds you want. That's what we do and enthusiastically bring to you on each and every Beta Monkey release.Back to top
3. Have Beta Monkey drum loops been quantized by Beat Detective or similar groove-killing processes? Without hesitation, no! All Beta Monkey sample releases are 100% live and unquantized. While some editing is necessary to get loops to accurately reflect stated tempos, we leave as much of the beautiful human factor - you know, all that stuff like feel, groove, and pocket that is getting lost in the digital age of recording - in all of our sample releases.
While the competition is cranking out lifeless after lifeless sets of loops that have been locked to the grid in near-robotic fashion, we don't see any need to do so. Our drummers know how to lay down great time and feel, delivering musical performances that will inspire your music with "in the pocket" playing listeners will know are live and, more important, human. If you have bad time or no soul, then Beat Detective is a lifesaver.
We'll leave the locked-to-the-grid drum machine parts to the other loop and sample sellers out there. They know who they are!
4. Who plays drums for Beta Monkey? We get asked this all the time and our answer is always the same: We can't say. Well, we could tell you of course, but we've never believed in the whole name-dropping approach.
What we have done for all of our drum loop releases is seek out the best players for the genre. Through various connections, both personal and professional, we have been fortunate enough to get some amazing players, players who have been on countless platinum albums, toured the world's venues, and celebrated in the music press. Put simply, some of the best players you could imagine.
While we'd love sometimes to share with you all who is playing behind you as you write your latest song with Beta Monkey loops, we can't. Just know, you are in very good musical company.
5. Am I going to get a disc of funky v-drum loops when I really want some slamming rock loops? No. For that, you want to visit Sonic Foundry or any of the others you might call our competition. You can view the table of contents for all discs prior to purchasing and we do our best to describe the discs as accurately as we can. When we say rock, we mean rock. If we label a disc Bluesy (like our Volume III CD), then you are going to get shuffles and 6/8 feels.
And, for goodness sake, a Roland v-drum will never be found at Beta Monkey Studios. Arguably , they are the worst scourge brought upon the drumming and general music community since disco. And, the sad thing is people will swear, "Oh they sound cool!" or "I just have to dial up the kit I want and there's the sound I want!" It's really sad. It breaks our hearts to hear the loops people claim are "rock" loops when they are v-drum garbage that sounds only somewhat better than what GM sounds were like in the mid-90's.
Please, people do yourself and your music a favor and never use a v-drum or midi loop again. You can do better.Back to top
6. I've been burned by other loop companies on the net. What makes Beta Monkey Music so different? If you haven't figured it out by now, then we don't think you will ever see it. But, one simple way to remedy this would be to email us. Get to know us, ask questions, see who and what you're dealing with. That will probably distinguish us from the competition even more than the quality of our grooves.Back to top
1. How much does it cost to ship to overseas? If you require hard copy DVDs to be shipped, all shipping charges are the same: $7.95. This is a one-time charge - you can have 1,2, or 10 discs shipped for this one low price.
This shipping policy is good for any location on the planet. So, if you are in Australia, Europe, Japan, etc, you pay the $7.95 shipping charge for backup DVD hard copies.
If you need Two-Day and Overnight delivery, please contact us directly. These rates are more expensive and are available in the U.S. only. We base these rates on the going rates as charged by the USPS. Please note: All Overnight orders must be placed by 12:00 Noon (EST) to receive the order the next day.
Two-day and Overnight delivery is NOT available worldwide as it is prohibitively expensive. For this, we recommend you request an instant download - you will save a ton of money and get the loops faster than any other means possible.
Back to top
2. I do not use PayPal. What other ordering options are there? First off, you do not need to be a PayPal member in order to purchase any Beta Monkey release. If you click "Buy Now" for any release, you will be presented with two options by PayPal: One for existing PayPal members; the other is for those that do not currently have a PayPal account. You want to take the second option (on your screen, it will be to the right). Choosing that payment option allows you to simply use your credit card and in no way join or become a PayPal member.
A second option is to make your purchase the old-school way: sending in payment via snail mail with a check or MO. Simply request a printable Beta Monkey Order Form from our contact page and send in your order. If you email us and give us the heads-up, we can have your order packed and ready to go immediately upon receipt of payment. In fact, we have sent orders out AHEAD of payment. So, ask nice! We can do this for most orders without any problem. And, if you're wondering, we have not been burned yet, by a single person, in all these years of doing business.Back to top
3. I'd like to get my order overnighted. Can I do this? Yes. That is easily done. Just email us with the request. We will bill you the going rate for overnight delivery. Just remember, overnight orders must be made BEFORE 12:00 for anywhere beyond the East Coast. East coast orders can be overnighted up until 2:00. We need an hour turnaround time to get your order packed and off to the PO so don't cut it too close! Overnight orders internationally are prohibitively expensive so we'd recommend another option for this situation. It can be done, but you might be shocked at the cost in doing this (we know having done it quite a few times a few years back).Back to top
4. How long will it take for my discs to arrive? All U.S. orders generally arrive in TWO to FOUR business days after your purchase. International orders can vary but are generally no more than seven to ten days (typical shipping time to the U.K. is six days or less; Australia is seven days or less; Western Europe is seven days or less). However, please feel free to contact us should there be a significant delay in your order. While it is rare, it has happened. We are more than happy to track your order (if possible) or, if need be, reship the order free. We want to make sure you get your grooves! We have NEVER not gotten discs to anyone who ordered to over 40 countries on this planet and in over tens of thousands of orders.
Of course, if you need the discs in a hurry, contact us to have an instant download made available to you the same day of your order. You can also request your order to be "download only" to avoid delays and expensive import taxes and duties. Go to the Instant Download Store page to get full details and to put in a request.Back to top
5. What happens if my discs are damaged or lost in the mail? We will reship orders FREE, no questions asked. It is so rare that we don't mind resending discs if need be. Same goes for damaged discs. In fact, if you EVER have a problem with your discs email us so we can send out new ones (just be kind enough to cover our costs for shipping). We want you to be 100% happy. Sending out a few re-orders or new items to replace damaged ones is the least we can do to keep you as a loyal Beta Monkey Music customer.Back to top